Wednesday, December 7, 2016

And It's Their Turn To Launch The Rockets

On my way into work yesterday, I found a bag full of launchers (party favors) that I thought were perfect for the 2nd to last class. Why? Well, it's the period of the semester where the baton is handed over to the graduate students for real, for real. They are launching into their final projects, piecing together writing instruction on a genre they wished to focus on as they design instruction to help students achieve a written outcome.

At the beginning of the class, we laughed our rockets and they flew everywhere. Bombs bursting in air, I tell you. It was a beautiful sight to see.

Of course, they didn't know my metaphor until after they launched their ships. I explained that 14 weeks were spent with workshops, practice, a midterm heading towards the final project, but now it was time to put forth a plan of action of their own. Next week, we workshop the thinking so they have a little more time to complete their work successfully.

I have to admit that the graduate students did well. I anticipated they would keep launching their rockets all night, because it was a lot of fun. Only a few flew across the room after we kicked off the evening and they were sparked by individuals I didn't guess would be tempted by the opportunity. Nope. They were the culprits and it was funny.

Instructionally, it is always interesting to see the wheel go full circle at the end of the semester, just when instructors are exhausted and ready for it to end. Now the work is on them and we see what they've accumulated over the semester.

Of course, I didn't get home until 10:30 last night, but that is what happens in graduate school when you're given the last time slot of the evening. My brain is so wired, it's hard for me to fall asleep, but I will be counting the fireworks as displayed by eager and more than enthusiastic big kids in my composition course.

No comments:

Post a Comment