Sunday, July 17, 2016

Expect The Unexpected...Well, Sometimes, At Least. So Nice To Be Able to Spend a Day at the Beach at the Net.

I wanted to sleep until 10 a.m., but I was up at 7:30, which was also good for me. I putzed about  for a bit and came to get coffee around 8:30 and it was already made. Lossine was already up. I went back upstairs to get some writing done, and when I came down at 10, Chitunga had already walked the dog and Lossine and Abu were sweeping, vacuuming and mopping the floors. I thought to myself, "Hmmm. That was my agenda for this morning and you did it for me."

So I went for a much needed run, one that didn't occur during the week because it was too hot and I didn't have the energy for the heat and went to the gym instead.

It seemed logical then to take the rest of the afternoon at the beach and to see what kind of volleyball games we could get going. The Sound was ridiculously warm, and the sand hot, but the games went well - the first pick up games for the season. "Hey, are you that guy who does workshops in Bridgeport? Are you the man who presented to Upward Bound?" We found other players rather easily and played until the sky turned overcast and we all needed a shower, which we did, until a corn hole tournament began, followed by a few rounds of Gin Rummy (had to look that one up online - I'm getting old and my memory is shot). This led itself naturally to a viewing of Mission Impossible.

I successfully had a day away from all the planning and organization of the workweek, which I needed. Today, however, I need to get back on the game and pick up needed items for teachers leading new literacy labs this week. Of course, tonight we'll more than likely spend in Monroe as that has become a Sunday ritual requested by Chitunga for his day off.

One of my favorite scenes of the day was when Tunga, running backwards to bump a ball, well on his ass and the guys on the other team all stood in place and saluted his shorts. It was quick-witted and clever and I had to laugh.

Now, about these 44 year-old muscles...

No comments:

Post a Comment