Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Double Edged Curse of a Beautiful Day In The Realm of an Academic Career...But the Sun

Yesterday, when in my office making arrangements for DC next week - harnessing politicians to find availability on a random Thursday - I learned Washington hit 80 degrees. I was told, "The trees are so confused. They wanted to bloom in an odd warmup last October, but then winter came and it froze the process, and now it's summer weather."

I wanted to know if the Cherry Blossoms would be in bloom, and they said, "Well, the pollen is out."

Um, it's still March and I'm convinced we have to have another major snow storm before this year ends. Still, I will try to be optimistic.

As I sat in meeting after meeting, and took moments here and there to write, I kept seeing the blue skies and sunshine and I wanted to run. I couldn't wait to get home, and I was lucky that I still find time to make one possible. Everyone was out. Dogs were frolicking, kids were playing, people were on bikes, and everyone was out moving about. Those with rakes and shovels, doing yard work, may have jumped the gun a bit, but they were in full force, too.

It is so much easier to be a nerd when it is raining and cold. It is much harder when their is an outside world to enjoy. We all want to lose the winter slump (even though it was a minor experience this year). Yes, March came in like a lamb and now it is like a kitten sunning itself in the beams of June. This will pass, but while we have it, I will take full advantage of the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment