Wednesday, March 23, 2016

T.G.I.W. - That's My Motto For the Spring Semester and I Can't Wait Until This Afternoon. Me Time.

I know most get excited about Fridays, but I tend to see them as a gateway to the weekend when I can get the majority of my work done (that is: grading, writing, planning, answering emails, applying for grants, and justifying all the moves I make at the University because keeping record of action is the way we keep our jobs. Doing is secondary to the reporting of our doing).

Ah, but because I teach Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and almost all my committee meetings are Monday and Tuesdays, a vast majority of the weekend must be spent preparing for the chaos that is the early week.

This past week, however, I was in DC so my normal routine was off even more. It's been 7 a.m. - midnight for quite a while now and today, as of 2 p.m., I actually have a window to breathe...

...by breathing, I mean, I can clean the house (don't let Chitunga know, but I'm not as clean as he is and he's been gone for the week. My thinking was, "Why not let it go? You can get to it later?"). Today, however, I can go to the grocery store (I think I ate moldy rice and beans last night because it was al I had), then I can come home and be domestic. I've picked it up some - the good homeowner quality - because of the parental guilt, but it definitely has slipped in March. The out-of-town guests this weekend give me another reason to do spring cleaning. I am actually looking forward to it, because I might spend a couple of hours away from the laptop.

Imagine that. Being happy to have two hours away from a machine.

So, today I am keeping calm because it is Wednesday...my Friday this semester. I will walk the dog, run, fold laundry, run the dishwasher, vacuum, dust, recycle, and restore the fridge. You know you're an adult when you actually have time to do this.

And with that, it's time to get to campus to finish the marathon the last few weeks has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment