Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Ramadan Mubarak. I'm Passing This Year, But Dedicated to 30x30x30, A Program I Made Up to Suffer Another Way

Rewarding the 30x30x30
Last year, out of love and support for Abu and Lossine, I opted to fast with them for Ramadan. Granted, it was the hottest month of the year, July, and we were in full force Invitational Summer Institute and Young Adult Literacy Labs mode. We made it through together, and I can't believe it is another year and time for them to do it all over again.

They mean the world to me, but this year, I'm passing. I can still feel the afternoon weakness just thinking about the days I went without. So, this year, I am opting for a different kind of suffering.

For these 30 days, my goal is to move 3 times a day for 30 minutes. I will walk Glamis in the morning, go for another walk mid-afternoon on campus, and then run later in the evening when the air begins to cool down. That's 90 minutes of movement and yesterday was my first successful day.

Fool didn't eat since 10 pm
last night. No Crandall special,
though. That awaits July.
I did buy watermelon, however, as if the twins were here and we were going through the ritual all over again. Rather than break fast at 8:47, though, I simply eat the rejuvenator after my run (which tonight was at 6:47).

I told Abu my plan of action yesterday when he called. I feel June will be a kinder month for the long days ahead for my Muslim friends. Last July was brutal, but we did it.

And then I had to laugh. The watermelon photo above was matched by the photo Abu sent me last night. I told him, "Alright, I need to add your picture to my post for Tuesday morning." There won't be a day over the next 30 that I won't be thinking about them as they break their fast. By then, I hope to be sipping bourbon and reading a book!


No comments:

Post a Comment