Tuesday, April 19, 2016

It Was a Garfield Monday (Ugh), But I Scored Some Triumphs, Too. Now I'm Ready for Tuesday.

Each year, Bridgeport Public Schools Superintendent Fran Rabinowitz hosts a book dialogue at Fairfield University under an Everyone Reads model. This year, the book was Our Kids by Robert Putman, which once again looks at the incredible disparity between haves and have nots in our nations, and asks critical questions of how we create fairness between our nation's schools and rectify America's social ills.

Teachers, administrators, scholars, and Deans get together to discuss their understanding of the book and to think of possible new ways we can better work with one another. The views vary from optimism to pessimism, but the conversations - I believe - is always a step in the right direction. At least we're talking about the issues our communities face. There are two Americas and rarely does one have an opportunity to dialogue with the other. Rabinowitz's leadership is a step in the right direction.

Rarely, too, do Bridgeport Public School educators have an evening with a catered event to talk with one another about their thinking and wonders.

I came home from the event ready to get into action, but when I entered my house, the Internet was down. Tunga and I bonded over catching up on our days, but then were defeated by having no technology (um, we were stuck until I figured out how to get it back online).

The result was my evening was a bust (perhaps a sign to take it easy), but now I will pay this morning when I have to go into supercharge mode to do all the digital work that keeps me afloat. I lost about six hours that I needed.

So, I'm out. See ya later...time to be in my office working!

No comments:

Post a Comment