Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Every Now and Again I Pause and Think, "Hmmm, Now That Was an Innovative Way To Respond To a Crandall Question"

For several years, because I teach a Developmental Reading course for Middle and Secondary School Teachers, I've asked students to trace their textual lineages: what influenced their reading, memorable moments from childhood, influences in and out school, and current interests.

Traditionally, students have a good time with this and do the lineage exercise (Thank You, Alfred Tatum) via Powerpoint, Keynote, and Prezi. Craig, a teacher at Warde High School, however, presented his last night in digital form - as he said, "Old School," with Microsoft Movie Maker. In the middle, he paused and read a rap he wrote in 3rd grade --- a live performance --- that was clever, talented, and indicative of his creativity at an early age.


The 3rd grade poem is not a part of the work, but I enjoyed a unique approach to the assignment I've used to build community in my graduate course. I wouldn't be able to go on if I didn't find a way to embed it here. It took me a while, but I did it.

It's Hump Day, everyone! And that, for me, is like a Friday. I actually have breathing room for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment